Google Custom Search

BALTIMORE, Md. – The Pirates of Hampton University closed out the 2010 season on the road against the Bears of Morgan State University at Hughes Stadium with a come-from-behind 21-16 victory.

Hampton closed out the season with a 6-5 overall record and 5-3 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), while the Bears finished 4-7 and 3-5 in the MEAC. The Pirates snapped a four-game losing streak in handing Morgan State its fourth straight defeat.

The Pirates led in all stats at the half, except the one that counted the most: the score. Hampton trailed 9-3 at half after an 81-yard punt return touchdown by Winfred Diggs and a 36-yard field goal by Kemar Scarlett.

Hampton went 66 yards on its first drive in just 12 plays, but had to settle for three points after stalling at the Bears’ 2-yard line. Rodrigo Hernandez kicked a 24-yard field goal to put the Pirates up 3-0.

The Pirates offense had 36 plays for 156 yards in the first half, but they were hurt by seven penalties for 86 yards.

Hampton would get the ball back on the Morgan State 25-yard line following a kickoff return and two penalties on the Bears. Following three failed attempts to get in the end zone, Hernandez missed a 42-yard field goal attempt to the left.

The Pirates defense was able to hold the Bears to just 64 yards of total offense and just three first downs in the first half.

The Pirates would get another three points in the second half, when Hernandez nailed a 26-yard field goal.

Hampton’s defense would give the ball back to the offense when Devan Dunson intercepted the ball on the 1-yard line and returned it 36 yards to the Hampton 37-yard line. After a three-and-out, the Pirates special teams would get the ball back when Destin Route forced Brian Mann to fumble the ball and recovered.

The offense could not convert, but the Pirates defense held Morgan State in check before recording a safety on the ensuing punt to cut Morgan State’s lead to 9-8.

The following possession for the Pirates would end in a touchdown, when running back Steve Robinson rushed from 10 yards out to put Hampton on top 15-9, which capped a nine-play, 54-yard drive.

The Bears would come back and take 10 plays to go 64 yards after a few penalties and score on a 1-yard run by Delonte Williams to put Morgan State back on top 16-15 with 1:35 left in the game.

With just over a minute to play, Pirates behind quarterback David Legree had to go 78 yards for a score. That is just what the Pirates did. Legree connected with Javaris Brown from 23 yards out to give the Pirates their second touchdown of the game and the lead at 21-16.

It took Hampton 46 seconds to go 78 yards.

The Bears got one last shot at a score, but came up short when Micah Pellerin broke up the pass to Tyrone Hendrix to end the game.


Please consider supporting our work.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square