|From the Archives|
July '98-June '99
July '97-June '98
Before July '97
From The News Room
October 25, 2000
- Magic City Classic officials announced Tuesday that measures have been implemented to ward against counterfeit tickets, the re-selling of tickets on property and gate-crashing at Saturday's football game between Alabama A&M University and Alabama State University.
Among the measures taken are an increase in security officers at the game, including undercover officers. Security will be checking for counterfeit tickets and gate crashing at each gate. The security measures in place will be strictly enforced.
Fans are alerted to the facts that tickets for Saturday's Magic City Classic are all reserved seat tickets and that they cost $20 each. All tickets should be purchased from authorized agents of the Magic City Classic, including TicketMaster outlets, the ticket offices of the two participating teams, the Legion Field box office and the Alabama Sports Foundation.
October 23, 2000
- Lane College has announced that it will retire Fred Lane's jersey #6 during Homecoming ceremonies on Saturday, October 28. Lane was a standout running back for the Dragons before joining the NFL's Carolina Panthers.
October 17, 2000
- Virginia State University has appointed Roosevelt "Rudy" Cunningham as interim Director of Athletics. He served VSU in various capacities for 34 years prior to retiring nine years ago.
VSU plans a national search for a candidate for the position vacated by interim AD Ed Cooper. The university hopes to fill the position permanently by the middle of January, 2001.
October 4, 2000
- Howard University has named Romanda Noble as assistant coordinator for sports information.
A native of Washington, DC, Noble joins the Howard staff after serving as the sports information director at the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore for the past three and one-half years. Prior to her stint at UMES, Noble served as assistant SID at her alma mater, the University of the District of Columbia.
Noble is a member of the College Sports Information Directors of America and treasurer for the Black College Sports Information Directors Association.
- Florida A&M has named Kelcey Scott as women's assistant basketball coach.
- Jackson State has hired Jack Lott as softball coach.