|From the Archives |
July '98-June '99
July '97-June '98
Before July '97
From The News Room
June 6, 2001
- Florida A&M selects 11 for induction
- Three Black College products have been selected in the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. Southern University's Michael Woods was the 32nd pick in the first round by the Detroit Tigers. Florida A&M's Dwaine Bacon was selected in the 16th round by the Chicago Cubs.
Bethune-Cookman pitcher Cesar Montes de Oca was drafted Wednesday in the 27th round by the Atlanta Braves, but said he probably won't sign with the professional organization.
The draft continues through Thursday.
June 4, 2001
- John I. Davis named new coach, athletics director at Albany State
- Coppin State names Marcie Hickey as softball coach
- JCSU's Dr. Catherine Wright named CIAA Athletic Director of the Year
June 2, 2001
- Two more Black College products have made All-American status at the Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Norfolk State's Christopher Brown finished third in the 400m dash with a time of 45.79 sec.
Prairie View A&M's Lewis Turner finished 8th in the finals of the 100m dash finals.
June 1, 2001
- The 4X100 relay teams from Prairie View A&M and N.C. A&T finished fourth and fifth respectively in the finals in the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
The PVAM squad of Tim Cherry, Lewis Turner, Lewis Edmonson and Larry Hamilton posted a time of 39.45. Earlier on Friday, Turner qualified for the finals in the 100m dash.
The fifth place Aggies, who had broken a school record in making the finals, posted a time of 39.48. The NC A&T team featured Titus Haywood, Gerald Wright, Montay Wilds and Timothy Walls.
TCU won the event with a time of 38.58.
- Southern University's Brian Johnson finished third in the long jump with a best jump of 8.06 and Norfolk State's Christopher Brown has advanced to the finals of the 400m dash.
- Tennessee State terminates Director of Athletics